top of page
College Campus

FAQ Guide for Students

  • How long does it typically take to complete degree programs in the U.S.?
    Bachelor's degrees generally require four years of full-time study. Master's programs can vary, typically ranging from one to two years, while PhD programs can take anywhere from three to six years, depending on the field of study and research requirements.
  • What are the estimated living expenses for students in the U.S.?
    Living expenses in the U.S. can vary widely depending on location and lifestyle, with estimates ranging from $10,000 to $18,000 per year for students. This includes accommodation, food, transportation, and personal expenses but can be higher in major cities.
  • How much does an undergraduate program cost for international students in the U.S.?
    Annual tuition fees for international undergraduates can range from $20,000 to $50,000 or more, depending on the institution and program. This does not include room, board, and other living expenses.
  • What is the tuition fee for a master’s program in the U.S. for international students?
    For international students, Master's program tuition fees can vary widely from $20,000 to $40,000 per year, with some programs in business, engineering, and law potentially costing more.
  • Are scholarships available for international students in the U.S.?
    Yes, many U.S. institutions offer scholarships to international students based on merit, need, or specific talents. However, the availability and amount can vary significantly by school.
  • How can international students secure a full scholarship in the U.S.?
    Securing a full scholarship typically requires excellent academic records, strong leadership qualities, and distinctive achievements. Applying early and researching scholarships offered by universities and external organizations can increase your chances.
  • Is it possible to obtain scholarships for graduate programs in the U.S.?
    Yes, scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships are available for graduate students, including international students. These awards can cover tuition, fees, and sometimes provide a stipend for living expenses.
  • Where can I find scholarship information for studying in the U.S.?
    Scholarship information can be found on university websites, through dedicated scholarship search platforms, and by consulting the U.S. Department of State's Education USA website.
  • Can international students work while studying in the U.S.?
    Yes, international students on F-1 visas can work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic term and full-time during breaks, with certain restrictions. Off-campus employment is possible through programs like CPT and OPT with authorization.
  • What options are there for international students to work and study simultaneously in the U.S.?
    Besides on-campus employment, students can explore Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for internships related to their major, or Optional Practical Training (OPT) post-graduation to gain work experience in their field of study.
  • What does CPT mean for students in the U.S.?
    Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows international students to undertake employment as part of their curriculum, such as internships or cooperative education programs, which is directly related to their major field of study.
  • Can you explain OPT in the context of U.S. education?
    Optional Practical Training (OPT) permits international students to work in the U.S. in their field of study for up to 12 months after completing their degree. STEM graduates can apply for a 24-month extension.
  • What is the STEM OPT extension for students in the U.S.?
    The STEM OPT extension allows graduates in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields to extend their OPT period by 24 months, for a total of 36 months of work experience in their field of study.
  • Is an English proficiency test required for U.S. college applications?
    Yes, most U.S. colleges require international applicants to prove English proficiency through standardized tests like the TOEFL or IELTS.
  • What English language tests are accepted by U.S. colleges?
    Commonly accepted tests include the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), and the Duolingo English Test, among others.
  • What are the typical English test score requirements for U.S. colleges?
    Minimum score requirements vary by institution but generally range from 61 to 100 for the TOEFL iBT and 5.5 to 7.0 for the IELTS, depending on the program and university.
  • Which exams are necessary for applying to a master’s program in the U.S.?
    In addition to English proficiency tests, many programs require the GRE or GMAT. The specific requirements vary by program and school.
  • What do U.S. colleges call an admission offer?
    An admission offer in the U.S. is commonly referred to as an acceptance letter, which officially invites the applicant to enroll in the institution.
  • What accommodation options are available for international students in the U.S.?
    International students can choose from on-campus housing, such as dormitories or university apartments, and off-campus options like renting apartments or houses. Some institutions also offer homestay programs with local families.
  • How do I apply for a student visa to study in the USA?
    To apply for a student visa, you first need to be accepted by a SEVP-certified school. After receiving your acceptance, you'll pay the SEVIS I-901 fee, receive a Form I-20, and then apply for a visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country, which includes filling out the DS-160 form and scheduling a visa interview.
  • What types of student visas are available for studying in the USA?
    The primary types are F-1 (academic students), J-1 (exchange visitors), and M-1 (vocational students). The type of visa you need depends on your program of study and the type of school you plan to attend.
  • What should international students know before arriving in the USA?
    It's important to understand U.S. culture, healthcare system, banking, and transportation options. Additionally, be aware of your rights and responsibilities as an international student, the weather conditions of your destination, and ensure you have all necessary documents for your visa and university enrollment.
  • How can international students manage culture shock in the USA?
    Students can mitigate culture shock by keeping an open mind, trying to learn about U.S. customs and culture before arrival, engaging in social activities and student organizations, staying in touch with family and friends at home, and seeking support from their institution's international student office.
bottom of page